BVN tagged me on this….
1. LAST MOVIE YOU SAW IN A THEATER:
Katha Parayumbol (I actually teared up at the end. Never thought I’d see the day when Mammootty could do that to me… but come to think of it, I’d rather give credit to Sreenivasan)
2. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING?
‘All Quiet on the Western Front’ by Erich Maria Remarque for my bookclub. It’s a reread, but it did not affect me this way the last time I read it about 15 years back. Guess I am growing old.
Also ‘A Swiftly Tilting Planet’ by Madeline L’Engle. Part of the Wrinkle in Time Trilogy. It’s a kids’ book, but don’t let that deter you. Beautiful and haunting. i think a grown up would enjoy it more.
3. FAVORITE BOARD GAME?
Good ol’ ‘Thaayam’. But I need my sisters-in-law to play along to really enjoy it. Without that, hmmm, scrabble or is it monopoly?
4. FAVORITE MAGAZINE?
Come to think of it, I barely read magazines now. There used to be an old humor mag called ‘Madhu Muskan’ published years ago. Remember it anyone?
5. FAVORITE SMELLS?
There used to be a sprawling ‘vaasimottu’ in my grandparents’ house. Neither the house, nor the tree exists today. But a sapling of it, brought home and planted near our front gate thrives today. It flowers in the evening. And sitting out on the verandah when it’s in full bloom… while at Disney’s Animal Kingdom last year, I found a plant in full bloom. The fragrance just hit me and for a moment, I was home.
The earth after the first rain.
And then of course am a sucker for that smell of newborns… and the smell of Pears soap. Somehow arouses the maternal instinct in me, which my kids otherwise manage to quell.
6. FAVORITE SOUND?
Rain… as it can only rain back home.
And the sound of the key turning the lock, signaling that my husband is back home.
7. WORST FEELING IN THE WORLD?
Feeling that no one misses you. Imagine calling up home and someone saying, “this vishu everyone was here except ‘so and so’, with the ‘so and so’ not being you.
8. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU THINK OF WHEN YOU WAKE?
I’m packing the kids off to school and coming right back to bed.
9. FAVORITE FAST FOOD PLACE? Thattukadas (is there a recurring theme running through this tag?) Nikhunjam.There used to be a Downtown in palayam back in the early 90s. too bad it’s closed down.
Here, maybe Philly steakhouse (love their gyros)
10. FUTURE CHILD’S NAME?
I think I am done with that. But then hypothetically speaking… Dattatreya and Mrithyunjaya (since we’re speaking hypothetically, thought I might as well go for twins. I would love to see my neighbour get her tongue around that one! The kids I hope would appreciate their classical names. Atleast I didn’t name them like this.)
11. FINISH THIS STATEMENT. “IF I HAD A LOT OF MONEY I’D…? go home. And then maybe a world cruise, stopping enroute to buy that sun-drenched island.
12. DO YOU DRIVE FAST? Nope, irritate my husband by always driving 5 miles BELOW the speed limit. He sticks to the speed limit by the way.
13. DO YOU SLEEP WITH A STUFFED ANIMAL? Nope have a much warmer bed buddy to hug;)
14. STORMS-COOL OR SCARY? Both. Great BMW (you know what I mean and its nothing to do with wheels) combined with #13.
15. WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CAR? Maruthi 800. Navy blue.
16. FAVORITE DRINK? My morning cuppa chaya with chukku and elaichi. Then rosemilk and mango lassi.
17. FINISH THIS STATEMENT, “IF I HAD THE TIME I WOULD ….. write that book.(hah! Who am I kidding? I would still do what I do now. Absolutely nothing. )
18. DO YOU EAT THE STEMS ON BROCCOLI? Yes. I run it in the food processor and mix it in with my chappathi atta. That way we all eat broccoli. Even the kids don’t complain.
19. IF YOU COULD DYE YOUR HAIR ANY COLOR, WHAT WOULD BE YOUR CHOICE? Some day I want to get a tri-color done, just to freak out my kids.
20. NAME ALL THE DIFFERENT CITIES/TOWNS YOU HAVE LIVED IN. now that’s some list… Nagercoil (it’s home), Trivandrum(that’s second home), Bangalore (my dream, which I desperately hope will not turn into a nightmare), Bensalem-Philadelphia(great place. First in the US), Santa Clara (hated it), Petaluma(nice place but too short a time), Chennai(I hope I never have to live there again), Raleigh(so far so good). Now ,all I want to do is put down roots someplace.
21. FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH? Nah…
22. ONE NICE THING ABOUT THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU. BVN 🙂 he has a great sense of humor.
23. WHAT’S UNDER YOUR BED? Fortunately there is absolutely no space to shove anything under my bed. If not… I wouldn’t be able to yell at my daughter for hiding away trash under her bed.
24. WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE BORN AS YOURSELF AGAIN? Yes please. Wouldn’t trade places for all the sun drenched islands in the world. Maybe just not as lazy…
25. MORNING PERSON, OR NIGHT OWL? Night night night.
“They called me an owl
For I keep the stars company.
And when the world stirs to life,
I turn my back upon it.
And like the wicked vampire
I return at dusk
To suck life out of night.”
26. OVER EASY, OR SUNNY SIDE UP? Sunny Side Up. Such a cheerful way to start the day 🙂
27. FAVORITE PLACE TO RELAX? On a hammock under the palm trees on that sun-drenched island. But until I write that book that will make me all that money that will help me buy that island, I think I’ll settle for that old divan at home (as in nagercoil).
28. FAVORITE PIE? Pecan Pie. Love the Apple Pie from Koshy’s in Bangalore too.
29. FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVOR? Rum n’ Raisin. but nothing beats the Vanilla at Warren’s Nagercoil. That’s the only flavor they have.
30. OF ALL THE PEOPLE YOU TAGGED THIS TO, WHO’S MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND FIRST? Don’t know. So am not tagging anyone. I hope someone surprises me. Anyone listening?